Registered Psychotherapist | Masters of Arts – Marriage, Family and Child Therapy | Bachelor of Arts – Social Development Studies/Social Work | Clinical Fellow  OAMFT & AAMFT
The primary driving force in Heidi’s life is her passion about understanding and helping people overcome psychological, emotional, habitual, and behavioural problems. Heidi has spent most of her adult life studying the workings of the human mind and how it can be influenced, shaped, and changed for the better. She has a systemic (holistic) view of the relationships and interactions between the mind and body.
Therapies and Diverse Experience
Heidi, with more than 25 years of experience in diverse areas of human behaviour, has made more than 100 court appearances as a Psychotherapy Expert Witness both in Canada and the USA. She also worked with regional governments and private agencies to reduce levels of youth-at-risk re-offenders by as much as 30%. She has trained Masters-Level Therapists and Child/Youth Specialists in evidence-based-practices and therapies including Solution-Focused Brief Therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Coping Cat, Motivational Interviewing, and Multi-Systemic Therapy.
Challenges and Issues
Heidi acquired numerous academic designations and certifications in her quest to develop her expertise in psychotherapy and life coaching. That advanced knowledge and training, combined with her broad and diverse experience, helps her develop clear, concise, and practical solutions for people who suffer from, or are trying to deal with depression, anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, attention deficit Issues, marital issues, separation and divorce, gambling and other addictions, alcohol and drug abuse, youth-at-risk, bullying, survivors of physical and mental abuse, uncontrolled spending, grief and loss, returning to work after an injury or traumatic event, and victimization resulting from abuse (sexual, physical, emotional, and psychological).
Heidi has a number of strategies and therapies that she employs to help people quickly recover from their problems and challenges. Her advanced approach is one focused on quickly determining problems, and then customizing treatments around a “solutions focused treatment plan” using positive enforcement and motivation in the process. She builds on strengths while concurrently dealing with challenges. This helps to keep clients happy and motivated throughout the treatment process. As a registered psychotherapist, Heidi works with families (blended and traditional), couples, and individuals (adults, teens and children).
- Phillips Graduate Institute Chatsworth, California, USA – Masters of Arts Marriage, Family and Child Therapy
- University of Waterloo – Bachelor of Arts Social Development Studies
- Interfaith Pastoral Counselling Centre – Two-year Clinical Internship
Licenses, Certifications and Affiliations
- Registered Psychotherapist (Ontario, Canada)
- Registered Marriage and Family Therapist (Ontario, Canada)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (Texas, USA)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (Texas, USA)
- Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (Texas, USA)
- Trained in evidenced-based practices- Multi-Systemic Therapy (MST), Supervisor and Advance Supervisor MST, Solution-focused Brief Therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Trauma-focused Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (TF-CBT), Coping Cat, and Coping with Depression
- Certified in Critical Incident Response, Wraparound, and Memorandums of Understanding
- Member of the Ontario Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Member of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- North Dakota State Statute #2359: Mandatory Support/ Intervention Post Trauma for Critical Incidents/ Railroad – passed in 2001
- Wrote the State law that mandates support for railway workers traumatized by a critical incident. The State Department of Transportation later used this law as a prototype for state laws affecting critical incident response in the transportation sector across the nation.
“I quickly identify problems and develop a customized solution-focus treatment plan that will rectify the issues, challenges, and behaviours in a predetermined number of sessions.”